Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Back To Basics.

Have you ever felt like technology has become too necessary in today's society? I think about that all the time. Why can't we go outside an admire a tree without it ending up on instagram? I feel like that's not possible anymore. One of my friends posted a blog about simplifying your life. The topic had been on my heart for a while now. So, when she posted it, I kind of laughed because I felt the same way about it. Read it here.

But something really funny happened. I woke up this morning and decided to work toward getting off the internet so much. So, I went through some of my social networks on my laptop as I usually do in the morning. Then after I was done, I was determined to not be online as much today. I kid you not, once I got out of bed and my feet hit the floor, I grabbed my phone out of habit and noticed that the internet was down at our house. I was just on it! It made me laugh really hard.

One of the main reasons that I want to be off my phone more than I am is because I can see that it's becoming a habit of my niece and nephews. "Uncle Chad can I play with your phone?" Normally, I wouldn't mind someone using my phone. But it's become every time they see my phone. I'm not sure if it's damaging to them. But I think it's strange that all they want to do is play on phones all day. However, I'm the same way. So, This is a habit that needs to be broken for my sake and their's. What did I do while the internet was out? I went outside and played in the rain with the kids. Two things that I thoroughly enjoy, kids and rain. I even deleted my tumblr this morning. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love the internet. But I would spend hours of my time just mindlessly scrolling through my tumblr dashboard. That had to go. I am so tired of not doing things that I really want to do because of my addiction to the internet. It really is a problem. I even mindlessly check my phone. Even when I know that no one texts me or someone comments on something on one of my 16,461.6 social sites. I don't know why I do it? Am I checking the time? I don't know. I don't need to know what time it is every two minutes. It's habit, I guess. I hate it. I feel like I'm missing out on seeing awesome things because I'm constantly staring into my phone screen.

I was out with some friends last night. (Oh, I'm starting to meet new people! Woo hoo!) We went out to eat and then we went bowling. I noticed that no one was one their phone while at dinner. So, I tried to stay off of mine. It was hard to because I really didn't know two of the people well. I only knew my sister-in-law's littler sister. (I'm glad she invited me. I had a blast.) But it was hard to stay off of my phone because I was it was a little awkward. Why has being on my phone become my coping mechanism for awkward situations? I don't know. But then we went bowling. It was fun. (Granted, the bowling alley had just opened and it still has A LOT of things to fix. We had to swap lanes. And we had to call for help several times because the system was glitchy.) I really stayed off my phone and just had awesome conversations with people that I really didn't know. However, I did instagram my shoes. (They were velcro! It was funny to me!) But none-the-less, I was very proud that I kinda stayed off my phone. 

I still will never know how I became so dependent on my phone and the internet. Don't get me wrong, the internet and social media are needed and have their place and time. I just don't know how that place and time because everywhere and every waking second of my life. I know that I can get past the addiction. I just have to give it time and be patient with it because I know if I get frustrated, I'll just either cave in or break my phone or laptop. I need both of those things. I just feel like I'm missing out on so much life because of this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment